This post may contain affiliate links. Read our Affiliate Disclosure here.
Mary Pitman’s incredible weight loss is just part of her success story.
Mary, is The Missing Money Lady, and author of The Little Book of Missing Money, in addition to be a full-time RN of many years. She has a quick-witted sense of humor, and an interesting story you will enjoy.
I met Mary in 2010 at a marketing seminar, and a natural friendship developed, so it was great fun catching up with her, and I think you will want to as well. So after you read this, be sure to check out the video interview, on another major aspect of Mary’s new “career” discovered during her second half of life.
You can read more about Mary Pitman in this article about finding your missing money.
I’ve lost 54 lbs. Here are my weight loss tips:
- Set 5 lb. weight loss goals. Anyone can lose 5 lbs. When you reach that goal, set another one.
- Deny yourself nothing. Let’s look at ice cream cravings. (It can be anything.) If I wanted ice cream, instead of getting a half gallon or even a pint from the grocery story, I would drive (or walk) to McDonalds for a single serve cone. The craving was done and there was no ice cream in the freezer tempting me.
- Eat from the outer perimeter of the grocery store, excluding the bakery.
- Eat foods high in fiber–not for the poop factor but because fiber keeps you feeling full longer .You end up eating less.
- Eat slower and stop before you’re full.
- Little things add up. If I got a sausage biscuit in the morning, I tossed the largest half of the biscuit and ate it open-faced. If I had a sandwich in a bun, I’d gut the inside of the top of the bun. There’s a lot of bread there that you don’t need.
- Go to the library and check out the book Wheat Belly. You’ll never even want to eat wheat again. If you’re going to eliminate one food it should be wheat. After reading this book (given to me by a physician) I rarely ever have wheat. This is also a great way to lose weight.
- Drink water or tea instead of soda including diet sodas.
- Increasing your exercise is mandatory. Start with parking further away from the store. When I go into Walmart I go in the door opposite of the one I need. I’ll also walk around inside at least twice. I now have increased to walking to bridge and going to the gym and doing belly dancing classes. But that’s how I started.
- Realize that this is not a diet. This is a change of lifestyle. Forgive yourself if you indulge. I believe my tastes have been reset so now it’s much easier to make smart choices. I was hungry the other day and had raw broccoli as a snack.